Re: BUG #6281: need to remove

From: "Jim Jackson \(817\) 233-2385" <jimjackson(at)judgefite(dot)com>
To: "'Kevin Grittner'" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Craig Ringer'" <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Subject: Re: BUG #6281: need to remove
Date: 2011-11-04 20:42:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PostgreSQL 8.4.1 Documentation

Prev

Fast Backward

Fast Forward

----

Appendix D. SQL Conformance

Table of ContentsD.1. Supported FeaturesD.2. Unsupported Features
This section attempts to outline to what extent PostgreSQL conforms to the
current SQL standard. The following information is not a full statement of
conformance, but it presents the main topics in as much detail as is both
reasonable and useful for users.

The formal name of the SQL standard is ISO/IEC 9075 "Database Language SQL".
A revised version of the standard is released from time to time; the most
recent update appearing in 2008. The 2008 version is referred to as ISO/IEC
9075:2008, or simply as SQL:2008. The versions prior to that were SQL:2003,
SQL:1999, and SQL-92. Each version replaces the previous one, so claims of
conformance to earlier versions have no official merit. PostgreSQL
development aims for conformance with the latest official version of the
standard where such conformance does not contradict traditional features or
common sense. The PostgreSQL project is not represented in the ISO/IEC 9075
Working Group during the preparation of the SQL standard releases, but even
so, many of the features required by the SQL standard are supported, though
sometimes with slightly differing syntax or function. Further moves towards
conformance can be expected over time.

SQL-92 defined three feature sets for conformance: Entry, Intermediate, and
Full. Most database management systems claiming SQL standard conformance
were conforming at only the Entry level, since the entire set of features in
the Intermediate and Full levels was either too voluminous or in conflict
with legacy behaviors.

Starting with SQL:1999, the SQL standard defines a large set of individual
features rather than the ineffectively broad three levels found in SQL-92. A
large subset of these features represents the "Core" features, which every
conforming SQL implementation must supply. The rest of the features are
purely optional. Some optional features are grouped together to form
"packages", which SQL implementations can claim conformance to, thus
claiming conformance to particular groups of features.

The SQL:2008 and SQL:2003 standard versions are also split into a number of
parts. Each is known by a shorthand name. Note that these parts are not
consecutively numbered.

.
ISO/IEC 9075-1 Framework (SQL/Framework)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-2 Foundation (SQL/Foundation)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-3 Call Level Interface (SQL/CLI)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-4 Persistent Stored Modules (SQL/PSM)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-9 Management of External Data (SQL/MED)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-10 Object Language Bindings (SQL/OLB)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-11 Information and Definition Schemas (SQL/Schemata)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-13 Routines and Types using the Java Language (SQL/JRT)

.
ISO/IEC 9075-14 XML-related specifications (SQL/XML)

The PostgreSQL core covers parts 1, 2, 9, 11, and 14. Part 3 is covered by
the ODBC driver, and part 13 is covered by the PL/Java plug-in, but exact
conformance is currently not being verified for these components. There are
currently no implementations of parts 4 and 10 for PostgreSQL.

PostgreSQL supports most of the major features of SQL:2008. Out of 179
mandatory features required for full Core conformance, PostgreSQL conforms
to at least 160. In addition, there is a long list of supported optional
features. It might be worth noting that at the time of writing, no current
version of any database management system claims full conformance to Core
SQL:2008.

In the following two sections, we provide a list of those features that
PostgreSQL supports, followed by a list of the features defined in SQL:2008
which are not yet supported in PostgreSQL. Both of these lists are
approximate: There might be minor details that are nonconforming for a
feature that is listed as supported, and large parts of an unsupported
feature might in fact be implemented. The main body of the documentation
always contains the most accurate information about what does and does not
work.

Note: Feature codes containing a hyphen are subfeatures. Therefore, if a
particular subfeature is not supported, the main feature is listed as
unsupported even if some other subfeatures are supported.

----

Prev

SQL Key Words

Up