Re: First decent PostgreSQL CBT now on techdocs.postgresql.org

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: First decent PostgreSQL CBT now on techdocs.postgresql.org
Date: 2001-12-26 00:14:21
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

----- Original Message -----
From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2001 4:41 PM

> The subject of this first PostgreSQL CBT is "Sequences", as a lot of new
> users don't seem to understand what they are or how they're used.
>
> This CBT (247k in size) has been created using a program called SWiSH
> (which I'm never going to use for a project this big again), and is on
> the techdocs.postgresql.org website at :
>
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org/college/001_sequences/
>
> What I'm hoping to get is constructive feedback, as I've put as much
> time, thought, and effort into this first one as I know how to. I'm
> talking HEAPS. Suggestions of what should be the subject of the next
> CBT are also welcome.

I've found it quite helpful. There were things I wasn't aware of - shame
on me, thanks to you! :)

I think I've found a bug there:

o The frame entitled as "The optional keywords", for the MAXVALUE, last
part of the sentence says "..., and is also the number the sequence will
wrap around to if _is_called_ is true." I believe, "is_called" should
be changed to "is_cycled".

o The same copy-paste bug seems to be for the MINVALUE as well.

As for the user interface, could you make it a bit bigger and bolder
font maybe?

A question for you, Justin: how would it be possible to make a translation
of it to other languages?

Thank you for the good work!

--
Serguei A. Mokhov