Re: using calculated column in where-clause

From: "Fernando Hevia" <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: "'Patrick Scharrenberg'" <pittipatti(at)web(dot)de>,<pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using calculated column in where-clause
Date: 2008-06-18 19:35:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

For complex calculations I have obtained better performance using nested
queries. For example:

select a, b, c select
   ( select a, b, a*b as c from ta) subquery1
where c = 2;

This nesting is probably overhead in such a simple case as this, but in more
complex ones and specially with volatile functions it will provide an