Re: Opening view that uses a function - empty column

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "'Brady Mathis'" <bmathis(at)r-hsoftware(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opening view that uses a function - empty column
Date: 2012-07-30 20:22:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Couple of points - though they won't help the current question probably:

---------------my responses embedded

----------------Are you sure that when you connect to the server from
"...the DB server itself" you are connecting to the same database as when
you do so remotely?

----------------This really feels like an identity issue and not anything
specifically related to the code you are showing us. That said...see below.

> Could this be a problem with how I have implemented my functions? There
> are two functions calls actually used to fill the column - I included the
> complete text of the functions below.
>
> get_valid_xml - ensures that content from pg_largeobject is valid xml
> extract_from_extended - uses xmlparse and xpath to get one specific value
>
> Thanks...again!
>
> /* Function to validate xml for xpath use in SQL query */ CREATE OR
REPLACE
> FUNCTION rhs.get_valid_xml(x text)
> RETURNS xml AS
> $BODY$
> BEGIN
> PERFORM XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT x );
> RETURN XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT x );

------------It is unnecessary to call XMLPARSE twice, especially since you
are doing so on the "no exception" code path.

> EXCEPTION WHEN OTHERS THEN
> RETURN XMLPARSE( DOCUMENT '<?xml version="1.0"
> encoding="UTF-8"?><fields></fields>' ); END; $BODY$

------------Whenever you are having difficulties you should avoid ignoring
exceptions. At worse perform a RAISE NOTICE when one occurs it you still
want to send back an empty document. However, raising the exception is also
a valid and useful action. If you are debugging then raising an exception
(and reviewing it) is even more worthwhile.

> LANGUAGE plpgsql VOLATILE
> COST 100;
> ALTER FUNCTION rhs.get_valid_xml(text) OWNER TO postgres;
>

> /* Function to allow extract of fields from _extended */ CREATE OR REPLACE
> FUNCTION rhs.extract_from_extended(field_name text, menu_data_id
> bigint)
> RETURNS text AS
> $BODY$
> select translate( xpath('//field[(at)name="'||$1||'" and
> @type="String"]/text()', xmlparse(document ( rhs.get_valid_xml(
> array_to_string( array(select lo.data from app.menu_data md,
> pg_catalog.pg_largeobject lo where md.id = $2 and md.xml01 = lo.loid),
'') )

------------Here you call XMLParse/Document on the result of
"get_valid_xml(...)"; this seems redundant since "get_valid_xml(...)"
already does this.