Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tyan Thunder MB for postgres server
Date: 2004-12-13 06:24:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi All,

I've read a fair bit in these lists about server configurations, and have
come to some conclusions as to the kind of system that I want to build.
However, I would like to hear from anyone with specific experience of this
config. before I go ahead and buy it:

The system is based on a Tyan Thunder K8S motherboard, dual opterons and 4GB
RAM, and the LSI dual channel raid option. OS will be RHEL AS 3 for AMD64

The Tyan/opteron options seems tobe quite popular as a postgres server, but
I'm not sure how many people are doing it all 64 bit, so my specific areas
of concern at the moment are:

1. 64bit linux driver support - how is it?

2. Is there a postgres 7.4.6 package available for this (ie AMD64) or will I
have to compile it myself?

Personally, I don't mind compiling it myself - have done it many times, but
since I have to write instructions for the system to be  completely re-built
in the case of a failure, I'd rather go with widely available packages as
much as possible.

I hope to hear from you,
regards
Iain

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Marek DabrowskiDate: 2004-12-13 08:03:38