Re: optimising data load

From: John Taylor <postgres(at)jtresponse(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: optimising data load
Date: 2002-05-22 15:35:09
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wednesday 22 May 2002 16:29, Patrick Hatcher wrote:
> Dump the records from the other dbase to a text file and then use the COPY
> command for Pg.  I update tables nightly with 400K+ records and it only
> takes 1 -2 mins.  You should drop and re-add your indexes and then do a
> vacuum analyze

I'm looking into that at the moment.
I'm getting some very variable results.
There are some tables that it is easy to do this for.

However for some tables, I don't get data in the right format, so I need to
perform some queries to get the right values to use when populating.

In this situation I'm not sure if I should drop the indexes to make make the insert faster,
or keep them to make the selects faster.

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Joshua b. JoreDate: 2002-05-22 15:56:07