Efficient Insert statement for one record into multiple tables?

From: "Peter Neu" <peter(dot)neu(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Efficient Insert statement for one record into multiple tables?
Date: 2006-12-18 09:53:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

I have this task that I need to insert one user record into to tables A and
B.

User table A contains primary key and main data. Table B contains extra data
for

statistics. Table A has one field Id which is a sequence so it gets a unique
value

for each new insert. I would like to insert this value into the other table
B as well as

foreign key.

So I'd like to do something like this

insert into A (user_name, value2 ) values ( "foo", "foo2")

AND

insert into B ( id_from_a , statistic_data) values ( 23, "bla")

How is this done the best way? I would like to do this in one call.

Sorry, for his dumb question but I'm not very experienced in Postgresql. :o(

Cheers,

Pete