Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

From: "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
To: "Theodore Petrosky" <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs
Date: 2004-05-06 13:06:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Now of corse it depends on the application that you are making, where you
put the files.
In my situation it is not so complicated, because we're not working on the
images, so from this point of view they are "readonly". Out clients that are
asking for photos have webaccess to a folder where we put the the photos and
we just give the right link, or they receive the photos in pdf documents.

I have the images on the same server as the database, so this is not a
problem to access them. But also if you have to make a mount on other system
I see no problem to this. Only if you will have to write the image file
back, then you will have to give write access to that file. In our situation
the image files are "web accessed" so there is NO way that we give write
access to that folder(I mean for the clients).

Now honestly the size of the DB makes me to worry at the point when you put
the images in the database. You cannot make simple dumps. I have at the
moment 12 GB of photos and the backup script for these takes quite some
time.

Now there is another risk when you put the photos on the disk... there is
the possibility that you have the link in the DB but you don't have the
photo, or the file is corrupted. This can happen.

It is up to you to decide. I don't know if there are also some performance
losses or not, but from what I can imagine to read an image from DB takes
more time as to read it from a file.

I know a lot of people that are storing the images on disk and not in the
database. If you store the images in the DB the handling becomes more
complicated. You will have always have to read the image and create a
temporary file in order to work with it. In file cases you just copy it. I
think it is more flexible the storage on the disk.

But... search the forums, or hope that somedoby else answers also.

Best regards,
Andy.