Re: Vacuum analyze in 7.1.1

From: "David Wall" <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum analyze in 7.1.1
Date: 2001-06-14 04:16:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

> I'll have to see if JDBC does an unlink anywhere.

Whoa! Looks like JDBC (as makes sense if you think about the libraries)
doesn't unlink those large objects. There is a call in the
postgresql-specific for doing the lo_unlink, but it requires an OID, and
when deleting a row, most of the time I only know the primary key, not the
OIDs inside. So, I guess I'll have to run vacuumlo from contrib before I do
the regular vacuum.

Does anybody know if vacuumlo is truly safe to use? I just ran it on my
test system and it removed a bunch of orphans, but I just hope they were
really orphans!

David