Re: ODBC Dies after Dialup-network reconnects

From: Steve Jorgensen <jorgens(at)coho(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Dies after Dialup-network reconnects
Date: 2004-03-18 20:51:30
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'm no expert with PostgreSQL ODBC in particular, but I have never used any
other ODBC driver that could maintain an ODBC connection when the physical
connection was closed. If you need something like that, I think you will
need to open your own ADO connections in code and close them after each
interaction so they can be reopened cleanly again later. Whether Access is
helpful as a front-end in this configuration is a good question.

On Thursday, March 18, 2004 9:28 AM, Thomas Quiring [SMTP:tom(at)gsacomp(dot)com]
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Here's the problem.. we have clients (MS Access) dialing out to the
internet and sending data to a Postgres server. Everything works fine
until you disconnect the internet and reconnect it. After reconnection to
the internet no ODBC connections work ("ODBC Call Failed"). If we exit
Access and then try it again it works.

> It seems like access or the odbc is caching the socket connections, or
maybe pooling the connections/socket.

> Is there any way we can refresh our ODBC connection to Postgres without
restarting access?

> If any brave soul wants to look through my odbc log files then let me
know and I'll create a test and forward them.