Some problems with Access and ODBC to PostgreSQL

From: Steve Jorgensen <jorgens(at)coho(dot)net>
To: "'pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Some problems with Access and ODBC to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-03-16 01:18:42
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi all,

I'm very familliar with the use of Access as a front-end to MS-SQL Server,
but I'm having some strange issues with PostgreSQL that are getting me
frustrated.

First, Access is bugging out.  I have one form on which, depending which
variation of the code I run, either rewrites the RecordSource property of
my form and subform or requeries them to reflect changes in form controls
the queries refer to.  In either case, this will work the first few times,
then it will continue to work, but I suddenly get 20 instances of the form
showing in the task bar.  Access will let me keep using the form and close
it, but then it crashes when I try to close Access.  Obviously, there's
something about what the ODBC driver is doing or not doing that Access is
not handling well.

Second, I have some queries that run very fast when I create them
dynamically in code, but run dog slow when I make them parameterized using
DAO.  I'm talking simple parameters here, just <field>=Forms!<formname>!
<controlname>.  With an MS SQL Server back-end, I get faster performance
this way because it uses a prepared statement and the server doesn't need
to recompile the query.  here, it seems as if Access might be failing to
even figure out it should have the server process the WHERE clause, though
I can't see why that should be happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Steve Jorgensen

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Vincent LadladDate: 2004-03-16 01:23:35