RE: extremely newbie questions

From: Michael Davis <mdavis(at)sevainc(dot)com>
To: "'Nicholas Chan'" <yumin(at)pl(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Postgresql Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: extremely newbie questions
Date: 2001-01-22 17:58:56
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
1) You need to create a Data Source Name (DSN) using the ODBC driver
manager.  This can be done by opening ODBC32 in the Control Panel.  Once
this is done, Access will allow you add tables via your new ODBC data
source.  You should have a primary key installed on each table.

2) With Access you can databases that store data and databases that store
code and reference the data.  If you are using code, then just link to the
PostgreSQL tables as described above and they will look and act exactly
like Access tables.  You can even link Access table to PostgreSQL tables
using Access.  If you are referring to data stored in Access97, then
PostgreSQL will not be able to access this data directly.  You will have to
export your Access data and import it into PostgreSQL.

3) Looks like you did not do item 1 above and you choose a Data Source for
another database.  If you complete item 1 above, and select it as your data
source, then it should work.

Hope this helps.