RE: [INTERFACES] fetching way too much or too often???

From: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
To: "'Ken J(dot) Wright'" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] fetching way too much or too often???
Date: 1999-06-30 19:13:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
well, with use declare / fetch turned OFF on everyone's machine, the
activity on the server per user action appears to be less than 1/5th!
 (i.e., greatly reduced!).  we have been running now for an hour with no
lockups -- that hasn't happened yet today!  but i also made another change
at the same time as removing declare/fetch -- i increased the buffers in
the startup script on the server from 256 to 512 (and then restarted).
 earlier today i removed the -B option altogether, letting it use default
64 buffers -- and we started locking up like crazy!  so i don't know which
is making the difference -- the buffers or no declare/fetch. . .  but in
any case, for the benefit of all who read this, unchecking declare / fetch
SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the activity between the client and a postgres
server!!!

jt