AW: [HACKERS] Informix on Linux

From: Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'Thomas G(dot) Lockhart'" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: [HACKERS] Informix on Linux
Date: 1998-07-29 15:14:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas wrote:

>Hi David. I see that Informix now has a no-cost developers version of a
>database available for Linux (Informix-SE; sounds sort of light-weight).
>I am planning on installing it to see what it can do (if it will work
>with my RH4.2 system; it claims to work on Caldera and SuSE only).
>Anyway, what do you know about it? Would it be a good system to
>recommend for those (for one reason or another) moving on from Postgres?
>Just curious...

SE is actually the light weight DB Server from Informix. It stores it's tables and indexes
in seperate files per table/index like we do. Every connection gets it's own process on the Server.
It lacks the monitoring interface that makes life so much easier on the Dynamic Server.
The really big winner for those moving on from PostgreSQL would be
Informix Dynamic Server with the Universial Data Option. This server's technology is
actually based on postgres, and has most of our functionality.
Michael Stonebraker is at Informix driving this side of the Server. I expect IDS/UD on Linux
to be the next Announcement Informix makes, and yes, it is highly recommendable.
(I guess we better ask David on this one :-)

Besides PostgreSQL, Informix is my favorite ;-)
Andreas