Re: [HACKERS] sorting big tables :(

From: Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>
To: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] sorting big tables :(
Date: 1998-05-22 12:56:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have an idea. Can he run CLUSTER on the data? If so, the sort will
> not use small batches, and the disk space during sort will be reduced.

I think a real winner would be to use an existing index. This is what others do
to eliminate a sort completely. Of course the optimizer has to choose what is cheaper
on a per query basis (index access or sort of result set).
result set small --> use sort
result set large --> use available index

Andreas