Re: Bug in CREATE FUNCTION with character type (CONFIRMED BUG)

From: "Kevin J Bluck" <kevin(dot)bluck(at)netce(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in CREATE FUNCTION with character type (CONFIRMED BUG)
Date: 2010-04-14 23:07:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>> PostgreSQL functions ignore typmod for parameters...

> ...not something that can be changed without a great
> deal of work --- and application breakage...

Thanks to all for the clarifications. I can make it return what I wanted with qualified character types by returning a SETOF RECORD types, where the record type is a table or aggregate type. The key, it seems, is to avoid using output parameters. But if RETURN TABLE doesn't respect typemods, perhaps it shouldn't be legal to specify them in that clause? I don't know. It just *seems* like a bug if you don’t know why your carefully crafted return type is being partially ignored. But now I do, so thanks again.

I do think Pavel G. has a real bug with the char thing, though.

--- Kevin