pg_restore TODO - delay PK creation

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: pg_restore TODO - delay PK creation
Date: 2004-11-01 02:22:31
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

I'm wondering if this is already on some todo list for pg_restore but I
didn't find any mention of it anywhere, so I thought I should post this and
see what people think..

Basically, I'd like to see an option at restore time to not include the
primary key constraint when issuing the create table command. I'd like the
PK to be added after data has been loaded using an ALTER command.

The principle reason for this is performance.

There may also be a bug somewhere, or perhaps just a problem with my system,
but I was trying to restore a fairly large table (over 7000000 rows) which
would run for a couple hours before failing. Dropping the PK enabled the
load to complete in 3 or 4 minutes. Adding the PK took another 3 or 4
minutes which adds up to quite a difference.

regards
Iain

pgsql-admin by date