Re: Data split -- Creating a copy of database without outage

From: "Igor Shmain" <igor(dot)shmain(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "'Jan Nielsen'" <jan(dot)sture(dot)nielsen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data split -- Creating a copy of database without outage
Date: 2012-06-05 17:15:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for your input and sorry about the delay.

I understand most of the limitations, compromises, and sacrifices that come
with distributed databases (sharding). But definitely not all of them. After
working with databases for about 25 years, I have some basic knowledge about
how they work (mssql, oracle, sybase). But I am new to postgres and new to
distributed db approach, so any feedback in those areas is extremely welcome
:-)

If anybody is aware of any successful implementations of distributed
approach with postgres and any information around this area, please let me
know. If I cannot find a suitable prototype and has to "invent the wheel", I
hope to be able to contribute back to the community with my story one day.

Thank you once again,

-igor