Re: Cooperation

From: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "'Robert Mitwicki'" <mitfik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cooperation
Date: 2008-10-30 13:59:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
> If I were working on this, I'd want to set aside
> probably 4 - 6 months to work full time at a rough estimate.
> If you're not familiar with the existing pgAdmin code or
> wxWidgets, then there is an additional (steep) learning curve
> to factor in.

That is very much true. I have also started to contribute to pgadmin. It
takes some time to get familiar with the codebase assuming you have prior
knowledge of wxWidgets. A project like the ER diagramming tool in pgadmin is
not a small task to accomplish. Off the top of my head I can give you two
things you have to know for this.

- A good grasp of C++ and wxWidgets in general, including 2D drawing and
painting in wxWidgets . You could look at the GQD in version 1.9-dev
- Understand how relations work in PG (look at pg_depend table)

Regards,
Gevik.