Compliance? Plans?

From: Per-Olof Norén <pelle(at)alma(dot)nu>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Compliance? Plans?
Date: 2001-10-23 08:51:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi again all,

First off, I´d like to declare that my intention is not to be a pain in the B** :-)

Working on customer´s campuses equipped with laptop and a viennaSQL (a pure java sql client) i have had
the need for many different drivers for different dbmses. The effort involved getting a working jdbc driver
for the dbms at hand has varied; from extremely easy to almost impossible.
As I´m currently promoting postgreSQL as an Orcacle alternative, I have been working in parallell with both
drivers and the driver´s compliance to the api differs, which has really been a hazzle.

My questions to the people actively developing the driver is:

1. How is the driver compliance tests carried out? The test harness from sun?
2. How often is compliance tests carried out?
3. Is there a policy for those issues where postgres has limited backend support for the jdbc API functions?
4. Is there a development plan for the jdbc package, similar to that of the server itself?

lastly, while I´m at it :-)
Is there a known problem with the implementation of java.sql.Blob.getBinaryStream() implmentation?
I get the size of the blob with length() and its correct
While reading the Stream I get returncode -1 immediatly
server is 7.1.3 jdbc built on jdk 1.3 on linux. Same error appears on win2000 (using the same driver)

Regards,
Per-Olof Norén
Stockholm, Sweden