Re: jdbc works with java programs. not with tomcat.

From: "Andrew B(dot) Luck" <abluck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jdbc works with java programs. not with tomcat.
Date: 2001-04-13 17:49:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Brett,

Thank you for the help. I still haven't made much progress. tomcat and
postgresql were already installed on this computer when it was supplied to
me. unfortunately, i'm pretty much on my own now...

> I recommend using the shell scripts provided with Tomcat to start and shut
> it down. Also, there is no need to place & at the end of 'tomcat stop'.

- i didn't intend to be ambiguous. i've been using 'tomcat stop' (no '&').
- i tried to stop tomcat with the script... '/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat stop'.
no luck.

i was able to find a script '/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomcat'. perhaps this is the
script i should use? i'll include the contents...

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for Tomcat, the Apache Servlet Engine
#
# chkconfig: 345 80 20
# processname: tomcat
# pidfile: /var/run/tomcat.pid
#
# Gomez Henri <hgomez(at)slib(dot)fr>
#
# version 1.02 - Removed initlog support
# version 1.03 - Removed config:
# version 1.04 - tomcat will start before httpd and stop after httpd
#
# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
export TOMCAT_HOME=/var/tomcat

export PATH=$PATH:${JAVA_HOME}/bin:${JAVA_HOME}/jre/bin

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting tomcat: "
touch /var/run/tomcat.pid
chown apache:apache /var/run/tomcat.pid
daemon --user apache tomcat start
echo
touch /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
;;
stop)
echo -n "Shutting down tomcat: "
daemon tomcat stop
echo
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/tomcat
rm -f /var/run/tomcat.pid
;;
restart)
$0 stop
sleep 2
$0 start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
esac

exit 0

> As for the CLASSPATH tomcat searches, if you use startup.sh and
> shutdown.sh provided with Tomcat, it lists the classpath Tomcat is using
> before Tomcat starts up. You can add custom classpaths to the script or
> add to the system classpath.
i wasn't able to those files anywhere on the computer. am i insane or just
dumb?

> Most likely, there should be a link (probably something like S##postgres)
> under /etc/rc.d/rc3 that points back to the main startup script, which
> should start up PostgreSQL upon bootup. What version of Linux are you
> using?

- i was able to find the directory, but not the file. can you help me find
the main startup script?
- i've got red had version 7.

Thank you again for the help & i apologize for my abundance of ignorance.

-andy