Re: I/O on select count(*)

From: "Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
Cc: <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I/O on select count(*)
Date: 2008-05-23 03:11:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Hannu,

Interesting suggestion on the partial index!

I'll find out if we can extract our code that did the work. It was simple but scattered in a few routines.

In concept it worked like this:

1 - Ignore if hint bits are unset, use them if set. This affects heapam and vacuum I think.
2 - implement a cache for clog lookups based on the optimistic assumption that the data was inserted in bulk. Put the cache one call away from heapgetnext()

I forget the details of (2). As I recall, if we fall off of the assumption, the penalty for long scans get large-ish (maybe 2X), but since when do people full table scan when they're updates/inserts are so scattered across TIDs? It's an obvious big win for DW work.

We also have a GUC to turn it off if needed, in which case a vacuum will write the hint bits.

- Luke