Re: Bulk Insert / Update / Delete

From: "Philip Boonzaaier" <phil(at)cks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "Ron Johnson" <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bulk Insert / Update / Delete
Date: 2003-08-21 19:37:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Ron

Yeah. I see what you are getting at. However, what about using a RULE ? This
seems to fit what I am trying to do.

Let me tell you what I am doing at the moment. I am migrating a COBOL based
system to a RDBMS base, and eventually a Perl / Java / Whatever front end.
As Phase 1, I am simple replicating the data in PostgreSQL. I have created
tables identical to the 'records' in COBOL. When I INSERT in COBOL, I create
an INSERT in SQL and action this. This is done externally from COBOL, and
not using any embedded SQL features. Similarly with UPDATE. However, I now
want to create a Table based on a sub - set of information, in the record
in the first attempt, I am creating a table of Telephone numbers for an
account, which is currently defined as an array of 4 possibilities within
the account record. ). Now, when UPDATING the main row, I have no idea if
the sub - set of information is already in the database, or not. So I want
to, simply by writing a SQL statement, INSERT or UPDATE the information in
the database.

Regards

Phil