[Bug] COPY staments with paths containing non-ASCII characters under WinXP

From: "Joachim Raue" <raue(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [Bug] COPY staments with paths containing non-ASCII characters under WinXP
Date: 2009-12-23 16:44:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

I observed following bug in Postgres 8.4 under Windows XP with German
locale:

- I create a text file C:\Foo\Föö.txt with valid one column CSV
content, let it be “a” in quotes

- In PgAdmin 1.10.0, I then run:

CREATE DATABASE test

ENCODING = 'UTF8'

LC_COLLATE = 'German_Germany.1252'

LC_CTYPE = 'German_Germany.1252'

CONNECTION LIMIT = -1;

create table bar (

foobar text

);

COPY bar FROM E'C:\\Foo\\Föö.txt' WITH CSV

- The COPY statement will fail if the path contains special
characters. Renaming Föö into Foo would work. Message returned in German
locale:

FEHLER: konnte Datei »C:\Foo\Föö.txt« nicht zum Lesen öffnen: No such file
or directory

FEHLER: konnte Datei »C:\Foo\Föö.txt« nicht zum Lesen öffnen: No such file
or directory

SQL Status:58P01

Your advice on worksarounds is appreciated. My guess is that the problem is
the file name being given in UTF8 (DB default), but Windows paths being
stored in an 1-bye encoding.

Best wishes and seasonal greetings,

Joachim