Re: ORDER BY and NULLs

From: <terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com>
To: <mailreg(at)numerixtechnology(dot)de>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ORDER BY and NULLs
Date: 2004-09-19 15:17:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Use the coalesce() function. (coalesce returns the first non-null value in its list)

Specifically

ORDER BY coalesce("TO", 0), "FROM"

If you have records in "TO" column whose values is LESS then 0, then you need to replace 0 with
something that sorts BEFORE the first most value that your TO result can return.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085