user passwords

From: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: user passwords
Date: 2001-12-20 16:18:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

why is it that I can sign in to the postgres database using PSQL without
having to specify a password for a user even thought one has been specified
in pg_shadow?

I signed in to Linux with my own personal id (which is NOT a postgres
account) and used the following command to get in:

psql -U postgres dbname

It let me in to our database as postgres (a superuser account) without even
prompting for a password.

Am I missing something?
thanks
Jodi
Kanter BioInformatics Database Administrator University of Virginia (804)
924-2846 jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu