Re: Insert Performance

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert Performance
Date: 2002-09-26 14:20:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> wrote:

> > What could you recommend? Locking the table and selecting
> > max(invoice_id) wouldn't really be much faster, with max(invoice_id)
> > not using an index...
>
> select invoice_id from table order by invoice_id desc limit 1;
>
> should get you the maximum fast if you have a unique index on invoice_id.
>
> Andreas

I've figured that out after reading the TODO about max()/min() using
Thank you anyway!

The second problem I had was that I have invoices here that have not been
sent into accounting. An actual invoice_id is something like 210309 at the
moment. So I used invoice_ids > 30000000 for "pre" invoice_ids. Having much
of those "pre" invoices makes select ... desc limit 1 too slow.

I figured out that I can use a partial index as a solution:

CREATE INDEX idx_real_invoice_id ON invoice (invoice_id) WHERE invoice_id <
300000000;

Now it works great.
I have a function getNextInvoiceID():

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION getNextInvoiceId() RETURNS bigint AS'
DECLARE
ret bigint;
BEGIN
LOCK TABLE invoice IN SHARE ROW EXCLUSIVE MODE;
SELECT INTO ret invoice_id FROM invoice WHERE invoice_id < \'3000000000\'
ORDER BY invoice_id DESC limit 1;
RETURN ret + 1;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Using that is nearly as fast as a regular sequence.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold