how do the pro's do this? (still a newbie)

From: Gunnar Lindholm <gunnar(at)gunix(dot)mine(dot)nu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how do the pro's do this? (still a newbie)
Date: 2001-10-30 12:11:39
Lists: pgsql-general
As a newbie in the stored procedure programming area I would like to know how
you could do the following with a function in plpgsql.
(It's a theoretical question, so do not suggest changing the tables :-)
I have

 table A :
	id 	integer primary key default nextval('something'),
	dohA	integer

table B:
	rid	integer references A,
	dohB	integer

and I wish to create a function "foo( dohA, dohB)" that inserts the values
dohA and dohB into the proper tables A and B and the reference in table B
should of course be connected to the PK in table A. You understand what I
mean, right?

Now, how do I write

   function foo(integer, integer)
      begin work
      ... please fill this space with some code.... !!!!
Is there some realy good tutorial on this, please tell me so?
TIA, Gunnar.

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Tille, AndreasDate: 2001-10-30 12:17:18