Re: [QUESTIONS] Re: [HACKERS] text should be a blob field

From: "Maurice Gittens" <mgittens(at)gits(dot)nl>
To: "Peter T Mount" <psqlhack(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Jan Wieck" <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Re: [HACKERS] text should be a blob field
Date: 1998-03-15 14:29:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
-----Original Message-----
From: Peter T Mount <psqlhack(at)maidast(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>;
Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at <Andreas(dot)Zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at>;
pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Date: zondag 15 maart 1998 21:10

>> > Well, you could have a RULE that deletes the large object at row
>> > deletion time.  However, if two rows point to the same large object,
the
>> > first one deleting it would delete the large object for the other.  The
>> > only solution to this is to have a separate large object table, and use
>> > reference counts so only the last user of the object deletes it.
>>
>>     I think triggers are more appropriate.
>>
>>     On INSERT check that the large object referenced exists.
>>
>>     On  UPDATE  if large object reference changes, check that new
>>     large object exists and  check  if  old  large  object  isn't
>>     referenced  any more in which case drop the old large object.
>>
>>     On DELETE check if large object isn't referenced any more ...
>>
>>     Yes - I like triggers :-)
>
>I'm begining to agree with you here.
>
>So far, I've got the trigger to work, so if a row of a table is deleted,
>or an oid referencing a BLOB is updated, then the old BLOB is deleted.
>This removes the orphaned BLOB problem.
>
>The only problem I have now, is:
>
>  How to get a trigger to be automatically created on a table when the
>  table is created. This would be required, so the end user doesn't have
>  to do this (normally from within an application).
>
>This would be required, esp. for expanding the text type (or memo, or
>whatever).

Since triggers are not inherited this doesn't seem appropiate too me -:(.
Won't user have to do some magic on inherited tables?

I think many things will be fixed when triggers, indices etc. are inherited
properly by derived classes.

With regards from,
Maurice.

Previous:From: Peter T MountDate: 1998-03-15 13:25:02