PLPerl not installed correctly?

From: "Daniel Hutchison" <Daniel(dot)Hutchison(at)rokaconsulting(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PLPerl not installed correctly?
Date: 2010-04-14 02:18:07
Lists: pgsql-novice
I've been experiencing problems getting any plperl function working, and I
believe the problem lies in the actual plperl installation not due to my
rusty perl memories.  For example, the very simple plperl example in the
comprehensive documentation (at

CREATE FUNCTION perl_max (integer, integer) RETURNS integer AS $$

    if ($_[0] > $_[1]) { return $_[0]; }

    return $_[1];

$$ LANGUAGE plperl;

Returns something odd (at least to me, also with little postgresql

prod1=> select perl_max(1,2);

ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "CODE(0x1f6d13c)"

I have seen something similar to "CODE(0x...)" show up in other programs,
but because the input parameter on those was TEXT I didn't get an error...
the program just behaved very confusingly until I realized that the correct
text input was being replaced with "CODE(0x...)".  At least in this example,
I get an actual error because the input variable doesn't match type.

Thanks for any help you can tell me on how to fix this!

My Environment:

PostgreSQL: \set: "VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 8.4.3, compiled by Visual C++ build
1400, 32-bit'"

OS: Windows Vista laptop (only for development purposes, I swear ;) )

ActivePerl: perl -v: "This is perl, v5.10.1 built for

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Donn WashburnDate: 2010-04-14 03:09:54