Re: Re: upgrading RPM query

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: jltsix4(at)yahoo(dot)com (John Turner), pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: upgrading RPM query
Date: 2001-08-20 18:37:55
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Monday 20 August 2001 09:13, John Turner wrote:
> > As to rebuilding from SRPMS, if you have enough to compile from the
> > tarball you simply:
> > rpm --rebuild postgresql-7.1.2-4PGDG.src.rpm
> > and pick up your binary RPMs from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.
> >
> > Much simpler than a hand compile, at least on RedHat 7.1.

> Would that method apply to a SuSE 6.4 distribution.
> I have had the same bad luck trying to use the binary rpm's
> with the latest 7.1 release.
> Thanks for any light shed on this "library hell".
> John Turner

SuSE 6.4 is not something I am able to directly support -- but I _do_ know
that supporting SuSE 6.4 requires a great deal of modifications to our RPM in
order to get working.  SuSE 7.1 and 7.2 are much better and much easier to
support.  However, I can't really expect anyone to upgrade for my

So, if you think you're up to trying to make the existing source RPM rebuild
cleanly on SuSE 6.4, you have my blessing.  I can help in a limited way --
limited because, as I said, I do not possess SuSE 6.4.

And, YES, library versions under Linux distributions are as bad if not worse
than Windows' 'DLL Hell' is.  Well, at least mostly.  RPM-based Linux
distributions at least _tell_ you there's a problem.....
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio
1 Peter 4:11