Re: Pg on SMP half-powered

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Víctor Romero <romero(at)kde(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg on SMP half-powered
Date: 2001-07-07 14:36:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 05 July 2001 10:51, Víctor Romero wrote:
>  I am running postgresql 7.1 on a SMP Linux box. It runs, but it never pass
> a loadavg of 0.4, no matter how I try to overload the system.

>  The same configuration, the same executable, the same test on a non-SMP
> machine gives a loadavg of 19.

Sounds like a kernel issue.

However, the load average numbers alone are not enough information to get a
benchmark.  You need to benchmark using a benchmark that can generate enough
traffic to load both machines and get good time results for the run of the
standard benchmark queries.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio