wierd problems with DBI/DBD::pg?

From: Michelle Murrain <mpm(at)norwottuck(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: wierd problems with DBI/DBD::pg?
Date: 2001-04-30 18:50:15
Lists: pgsql-general

I recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7.1, and it mostly went smoothly (fixed the
PHP problem, thanks to a list member). But now some of my perl stuff is being
a bit strange, and I'm wondering whether other folks have noticed strangeness
when they upgraded their Postgres as well as upgraded to the new DBD::Pg.

First off, my error strings seem to be cut off - so when an error happens, I
only get the first few (not at all predictable, either) characters from the
error string.

Second, I have this strange situation where a script that does a query on one
table of a database gives a reasonable result, but returns an internal server
error when a different table is queried. (this worked prior to the upgrade) -
plus, the wierd thing is that this script has a graceful exit subroutine, and
shouldn't just barf like that.

And of course, part of what is going on is that it's really hard to debug,
since DBI is not returning the full error string, so it's hard to know what's
going on.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle
--