Re: groups in postgres

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: groups in postgres
Date: 2001-04-19 05:24:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Jue 19 Abr 2001 11:12, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar> said:
> > I building an application that will load data on a database by lots of
> > people. So I thought about putting them in a group and giving priviledges
> > to the group.
> >
> > The problem is the the information on the main table is related with
> > fields of other tables, and depending on how it's related, I want some
> > users to be able to modify the data and I don't want those users to
> > insert new data if the relation is right for them.
> >
> > Am I clear up to know?
> >
> > Now, how can I do this? Is it posible manipulating groups? Or do I have
> > to play with triggers.
>
> Sounds like you want different groups for different users, and a view for
> each group. You can then define rules for each view defining the access
> that is available.

They're gonna be groups of users, which will be loading data related to there
group. I don't want the users from one group to load data related to other
groups. And there is going to be a super-group that can change anything.

I'm not sure about the views and rules. Never used them. I'll check it out.
;-)

Saludos... :-)

--
El mejor sistema operativo es aquel que te da de comer.
Cuida tu dieta.