Re: Consistent pg_dump's

From: Alexey Rodriguez Yakushev <alexey(at)serinbol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Consistent pg_dump's
Date: 2001-03-29 23:12:56
Lists: pgsql-general
On Wednesday 28 March 2001 22:48, you wrote:
> Alexey Rodriguez Yakushev <alexey(at)serinbol(dot)com> writes:
> > Are pg_dump's consistent? Do i have to shutdown the system in order
> > to make a pg_dump? What other alternatives are for backing up a
> > database without shutting down the system in order to allow
> > consistent backups?  Another question: Can the rows that haven't
> > been vaccumed yet retrieved?
>
> Yes.  No.  None.  Theoretically, but no tools exist AFAIK.
>
> HTH.  HAND.
>
> -Doug

Let me rephrase the question, i have a web-based application which uses
postgres as its backend. It must be operating 24 hours 7 days. If i want to
make a backup of the database using pg_dump, wouldn't it be possible that a
transaction occurs in the middle of the backup, leaving the backup
inconsistent?