On Postgres and permissions, cant read a file into a table

From: Lars Forseth <larsf(at)powertech(dot)no>
To: "Suse-linux-e" <suse-linux-e(at)suse(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: On Postgres and permissions, cant read a file into a table
Date: 2001-03-25 12:05:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi!
My troubles are not over! Postgres are up and running, but I receive the
following error message in pgaccess when I try to import a file into a table
in postgres:

"COPY "Gravtype" FROM '/home/larsf/DATA/gravtype.txt' USING DELIMITERS '"'

PostgreSQL error mesage:
ERROR: COPY command, running in backend with effective uid 26 could not open
file '/home/larsf/DATA/gravtype.txt' for reading. Errno = Permission denied
(13)."

This indicated some sort of permission trouble, so I first tried to change
the ownership of the file (gravtype.txt) to "postgres"; but it changed
notting; so I figure its' me who's running postgres with insufficent
permissions! But how to change this?

Sorry for these recurring newbie questions, but I cant figure out this from
the documentation.

Regards
larsf

PS; Someone mailed me and said that regarding my previous troubles getting
postgres startet I should have received a mail (root I guess) which should
have explained how to get it going. I cant find such a mail now, so I guess
something failed there to during my overall installation of v 7.0 of SuSE.

--
Lars Forseth

pgsql-novice by date