Postgres installataion in SUSE 7.0, lacking dirs i ~postgres/data

From: Lars Forseth <larsf(at)powertech(dot)no>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: suse-linux-e-help(at)suse(dot)com
Subject: Postgres installataion in SUSE 7.0, lacking dirs i ~postgres/data
Date: 2001-03-20 21:08:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi!
My first posting seems to get no response, but I have been researching my
problem a little more. This evening I cleaned out all postgres related stuff,
and reinstalled, using yast1. From the /var/log/postgres file I can read this
afterwards:

"No data directory -- can't proceed.
/usr/bin/postmaster does not find the database system. Expected to find it
in the PGDATA directory "~postgres/data", but unable
to open file with pathname "~postgres/data/base/template1/pg_class".

No data directory -- can't proceed."

Looking into this dir I get this:

"larsf(at)Yoda:~ > cd ~postgres/data
larsf(at)Yoda:/var/lib/pgsql/data > ls -al
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 20 19:56 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 20 19:56 ..
-rwx---rw- 1 postgres daemon 27 Aug 6 2000 pg_options
larsf(at)Yoda:/var/lib/pgsql/data >"

Looking for pg_class results in this:

"larsf(at)Yoda:/var/log > locate pg_class
/usr/include/pgsql/catalog/pg_class.h"

So it seems I'm lacking some dirs and files, presumably SUSEconfig has failed
in building the template1 standard database and database dir during install
of the RPM's; why?

What to do? Could somebody supply a stock data dir so I could copy it into
this dir, and get postgres up and running?

Regards, LarsF

--
Lars Forseth