libpq PQstatus problem

From: <philip(dot)howell(at)cit(dot)act(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: libpq PQstatus problem
Date: 2001-03-14 04:45:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi

I'm having problems with the PQstatus function in the libpq library. It seems
to return CONNECTION_OK when I know that it is not. I used the following test
program and method to test it:

------------------------

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include "pgsql/libpq-fe.h"

PGconn *make_conn();

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
PGconn *conn;

conn = make_conn();

while (fgetc(stdin) != 'q')
{
printf("Connection status... ");
if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK) {
printf("BAD\n");
PQreset(conn);
} else {
printf("OK\n");
}

}
return(0);
}

PGconn *make_conn()
{
PGconn *conn;

conn = PQconnectdb("hostaddr = 161.50.16.173 dbname = squid user = squid
password = squid");
if (PQstatus(conn) == CONNECTION_BAD)
{
fprintf(stderr,"Failed to connect to database\n");
fprintf(stderr,"%s\n",PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQfinish(conn);
exit(1);
}
return(conn);
}

-------------------------

I ran the program (with my postgreSQL server up and running) and hit <return> a
few times, I got the following expected output:

> Connection status... OK
>
> Connection status... OK
>
> Connection status... OK

Then I stopped the network (eth0) on the postgreSQL server and hit <return>
again and still got

> Connection status... OK

as the output. However Trying to execute the program with the postgreSQL server
offline resulted in the expected error messages, so it seems that in this case
the status was detected successfully.

SYSTEM INFORMATION:
===================

postgreSQL Server:
Hardware: i386
OS Linux RedHat 6.2
Postgres was installed from RPMs version 7.0.3-2

Client Machine
Hardware: i386
OS: Linux RedHat 6.2 with the following RPMs installed:
postgresql-devel-7.0.3-2
postgresql-7.0.3-2

Regards
Phil

philip(dot)howell(at)cit(dot)act(dot)edu(dot)au