INNER JOIN query with Postgre 6.5

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <megative(at)iwn(dot)fi>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: INNER JOIN query with Postgre 6.5
Date: 2000-10-25 09:51:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi everybody !

I have been reading Postgre-Novice mailing list for a little while now and got answers to all of my questions. Million thanks to everybody !

I have RedHat6.2, Postgre 6.5, Cold Fusion 4.5 Pro Server for Linux and Apache up and running quite OK now, still a lot to learn, coming from Windows world.

I ran into a problem again:

When executing a Cold Fusion template with INNER JOIN query I get an error saying JOIN: expression not implemented yet.

This is my query in cfml:

<CFQUERY DATASOURCE="#datasource#" NAME="GetProducts">
SELECT Products.*, ProductInfo.*
FROM Products
INNER JOIN ProductInfo
ON Products.ProductID = ProductInfo.ProductID
WHERE GroupID = #GroupID# AND ProductInfo.Show = 'x'
ORDER BY ProductInfo.InfoID
</CFQUERY>

The idea is to read (into a web page / shopping cart) basic product info from one table and all different sizes ,colors etc and their different prizes for the same product from another table. Sizes, colors etc. then populate a <SELECT> drop-down list for the customer to choose. The query works fine in NT and Access drivers.

This is the error Cold Fusion gives:

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = 08S01 (Communication link failure)

Error while executing the query; ERROR: JOIN expressions are not yet implemented

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (27:1) to (27:52).

Date/Time: Tue Oct 24 23:39:21 2000 Browser: Mozilla/4.72 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.14-5.0 i586) Remote Address: 127.0.0.1 HTTP Referer: http://localhost/vasen.cfm Query String: GroupID=3

This is what Allaire said:

Sounds like the PostgreSQL DB doesn't support this. Can you do it from the psql command line program?

A quick search on www.postgresql.org turned up some join related info, but nothing conclusive.

Allaire Development

Is it really true that Postgre does not support INNER JOIN ?

How can I try that from the psql command line program ?

Where can I look for Postgre error logs on this ?

Searching the site I found something on this, it seems that JOIN queries are possible ?

Best regards,

Aarni