Re: pgAdmin III nearing beta phase

From: "Serguei Mokhov" <mokhov(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III nearing beta phase
Date: 2004-08-12 14:18:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Sent: August 12, 2004 9:36 AM

> > > Translations
> > > ============
> > >
> > > We have a huge number of translations for pgAdmin compared to other
> > > FOSS projects which is great. Now that we're in feature
> > freeze, it's
> > > time to start updating the translations to reflect all the changes
> > > that have been made since 1.0. The translation web page
> > gives most of
> > > the information anyone could need about translating
> > pgAdmin. If anyone
> > > wants
> > > http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/translation.php
> >
> > Now it says 1006, but when you follow the link to the .po
> > file to download it, it still contains 765 messages only (total).
> > It'd be much more friendly to add the missing/fuzzy
> > translations dynamically off the source, say daily. Else it
> > could be a bit confusing (not everyone reads the entire page
> > to find out that they need to update from the current .pot
> > file first).
>
> Ahh, that might explain why I just hacked the scripts to get the totals
> from the pot file (I know nothing about translations myself). Any ideas
> as to how I can automagically merge the updated pot file into all the po
> files?

Well, in the PostgreSQL itself we use the gettext tools, and the one to merge
in the messages called, msgmerge (the other one is to check/format/etc is msgfmt).
Thanks to Peter E. Postgres has this built into makefiles, so when
you do 'make update-po', it does call msgmerge and updates the .po
files required. Checkout the nls-global.mk file in Postres's src.

So, I guess Peter runs a daily CVS checkout and builds those .po files,
and parses the output of the script and transforms it into the table.
I think it is automation of these steps (not all, some of them):

http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/nlsinfo/

Maybe Peter (Cc'd) can donate that script to pgAdmin?

> Regards, Dave.

-s