Trigger on 'create table' ?

From: "Bruce David" <brucedavid(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trigger on 'create table' ?
Date: 2002-10-25 17:50:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
All,

I'm trying to implement row level security using PostgreSQL.  I envision
having column on each and every table in the database that will contain a
discriminating value that determines if a given user is able to see that row
or not.  Users do not directly access the database; they get at it only
through client applications.

Is there a way to initially configure PostgreSQL such that each and every
time a 'create table foo....' command is executed that, something else would
happen instead?

For example,

CREATE TABLE weather (
    city        varchar(80),
    lo        int,
    hi        int,
    prcp    real,
    date    date
);

would result in the following being executed automatically:

CREATE TABLE t_weather (
    city        varchar(80),
    lo        int,
    hi        int,
    prcp    real,
    date    date,
    hidden_column    int
);

CREATE VIEW weather AS
    SELECT city, lo, hi, prcp, date
    FROM t_weather;

How the view gets populated is another discussion entirely.

But is there a way to set things up initially such that each 'create table'
command will exhibit the behavior described above?

Thanks.

--

Bruce