C function for use from PLpgSQL trigger

From: "Joe Conway" <joe(dot)conway(at)mail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: C function for use from PLpgSQL trigger
Date: 2001-02-02 19:57:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I'm trying to create a C function that I can call from within a PLpgSQL
trigger function which will return a list of all the values in the NEW
record formatted suitably for an insert statement. I can't come up with a
way to do this directly from within PLpgSQL (i.e. iterate through an
arbitrary number of NEW.attribute).

Can anyone tell me how I can either pass the NEW record to the C function
(this produces an error message 'NEW used in a non-rule query') or gain
access to the trigger tuple from within my C function? It seems that
although PLpgSQL is called as a trigger, the C function is called as a
regular function (makes sense) and thus has no access to the trigger tuple
(my problem).

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe Conway