Re: intercepting WAL writes

From: "Mike" <mike(at)fonolo(dot)com>
To: "'Jonah H(dot) Harris'" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: intercepting WAL writes
Date: 2008-05-29 21:43:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Mike <mike(at)fonolo(dot)com> wrote:
>> When you say a bit of decoding, is that because the data written to the
logs
>> is after the query parser/planner? Or because it's written in several
>> chunks? Or?
>
>Because that's the actual recovery record.  There is no SQL text, just
>the WAL record type (XLOG_HEAP_INSERT, XLOG_HEAP_UPDATE,
>XLOG_XACT_COMMIT, ...) and the data as it relates to that operation.

Hmm... after looking at the xlogdump and xlogview applications, I can see
the difficulty pulling this information you were talking about.

I see that I can get the OID's for the relations, and then lookup their
names from the source database; but pulling where clause and field info
seems to be a bit tougher.

Is there another place in the code, I can get access to the statements (or
statement "like" information), after a transaction commit?

Thanks for all your help,

Mike