Re: Database update problem from crontab on ubuntu server

From: "Phillip Smith" <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "'David Jorjoliani'" <djorj(at)mysoft(dot)ge>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database update problem from crontab on ubuntu server
Date: 2008-04-21 00:08:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

> same result when it running trough cronjob. Manually everything is
> fine. Even I put this commands (without su -l ...) in postgres user
> crontab, but same result.
>
> Server is ubuntu 64bit. Does it makes any difference from 32bit in
> terms of crontab functionality?

System architecture shouldn't affect crontab. Can you give us the
full output from cron? Also, just for debugging's sake, try putting
it in a script and call the script from cron.

If it still fails, then it might help identify exactly where the
error is. If it doesn't fail, then you can start shrinking it all
back down in to one line again and see where the error comes in.

#!/bin/bash

BACKUP_FILE_GZ='/backup/rms.gz'
BACKUP_FILE='/tmp/rms.sql'

echo "-----------------------------------------------"
echo "Unzipping backup..."
/bin/gunzip -c ${BACKUP_FILE_GZ} > ${BACKUP_FILE}

echo "-----------------------------------------------"
echo "Attempting restore..."
/usr/bin/psql rms < ${BACKUP_FILE}

echo "-----------------------------------------------"
echo "Done"

THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT - Save paper if you don't really need to print this

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments
e-mail.