Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error

From: "Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK" <kieran(at)lyris(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum stops with misleading max_fsm_pages error
Date: 2007-04-17 07:51:46
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Kieran Cooper, Lyris UK wrote:
>> We're managing a database on version 8.2.3 (running Lyris ListManager
>> email software). I ran a 'vacuum analyze full verbose' (we haven't been
>> able to get autovacuum to work properly on Lyris installs so we need to
>> run a full vacuum every week or so, and we'd been doing some work on this
>> machine so it needed it). It ran happily for quite a while - about 2
>> thirds of the way through the database - but then ended with the lines
>

> What is it about autovacuum that isn't working for you?

Hi Matthew. I have to admit that I haven't tested full yet, but here's the
scenario:
When Lyris sends a mailing there is an intense amount of database activity -
particularly on two tables. When I had auto vacuum set up, the database just
wasn't responding fast enough, so the mailing speed dropped as Lyris
dynamically adjusted based on the speed of db response. I guess what I need
to do is tweak the intervals and the sleep time so that vacuum backs off
when the database is really busy - do you have any thoughts on what settings
I should try in order to acheive that?
Thanks so much
Kieran