Re: 7.1 euro-style dates insert error

From: Chris Storah <cstorah(at)emis-support(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.1 euro-style dates insert error
Date: 2001-05-02 09:40:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Yes it does, for ambiguous cases such as yours.
Which means that independent of the date style, it should give a date error
either way?

> I'm willing to bet that the date style is *not* set to "European".
> Please demonstrate with a "show datestyle" and "select date
> '2.10.1997'"...
NOTICE: DateStyle is ISO with European conventions.
?column?
-----------
1997-10-02

Seems to be a problem with inserting reversed dates (Eg. 1997.13.2) and
invalid dates...

Inserting 10.13.1997:
gives 'Bad external date representation 10.13.1997' - correct

Inserting '19.13.2':
gives '2013-02-19' (dd.yy.mm ??? ) - not exactly what I hoped
:)

Unfortunately I am inserting 20,000 dates into a table, so it is not a one
off case.
Is there any way to enforce specific date formats without the parser
calculating the 'best-fit' case?

Chris