Setting up postgresql-8.3 on Debian

From: "Machiel Richards" <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Setting up postgresql-8.3 on Debian
Date: 2010-05-27 09:28:12
Lists: pgsql-novice
HI All

                In order to test the replication setup for a client, I need
to setup posgresql 8.3 on Debian 5.

                I have installed Debian on 2 virtual machines and they can
connect to one another and the internet just fine.

                However, when I use apt-get using the  install dvd or online
packages to setup postgresql, I don't succeed.

                The problem I am experiencing are as follows:

.         I use apt-get to install the relevant packages for postgresql-8.3

.         When I list /etc/postgresql directory, it is empty.

.         Listing /var/lib/postgresql-8.3 it is also empty.

.         Even when changing to postgres user, I am unable to use initdb as
it can not be found.

.         Using psql command (command can be found) but it says that the
database is not running or not allowing socket connections.

.         /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start also does absolutely nothing.

Have anybody experienced this before or perhaps know what I am doing wrong?
Assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards

Machiel

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Mike EllsworthDate: 2010-05-27 14:26:36