Re: PostgreSQL 7.4 on Windows XP?

From: "Chris Travers" <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: "Arvind Tiwari" <arvindt(at)tis(dot)co(dot)in>, <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4 on Windows XP?
Date: 2004-01-04 07:50:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-ports

Hi Arvind;

Sorry, a native Windows port of PostgreSQL is not yet complete.

If you want to run it on Windows (as I am doing until my RedHat Laptop is repaired), you can do so by installing it via cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com). This is a free download, but it can take some time. I found that getting PostgreSQL up and running under Cygwin was very difficult until I read the install docs, which explained things very well :-).

I suggest read the install docs (/usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/FAQ_MSWIN) once you install the software. If you can't still get it running, you can send another email to the list. You may also want to look at installing the ipc-daemon2 and postgresql as NT Services.

The other document worth reading is:
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.README

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers