PostgreSQL

From: "Ulisses Ponticelli Giorgi" <ulisses(at)compus(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL
Date: 2003-06-26 22:09:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I´m SQL Server 2000 user and want to migrate to PostgreSQL,
mainly because is the most suitable database to my needs (it is very
robust) and because the price of SQL Server is scaring all my clients.

But I have a few problems with PostgreSQL that I'm stuck.

1) In my SQL Server database I have about 1,000 Stored
Procedures. In some cases, one SP calls another SP that calls another,
and so on. To do that, I use the EXEC command. I've read that PostgreSQL
only supports functions. Is there any kind of trick that I can use in
PostgreSQL to make easier the conversion of all my SPs? How could I do
this? I just can't get all my SPs and rewrite the code.

2) I use commands like CONVERT and CASE..WHEN..END in my
queries. This is another issue that I simply don't know what to do. Is
there any kind of library or product (if it exists, I but it) that can
solve this problem?

Please, sorry my lack of knowledge in PostgreSQL. I'm a beginner
in this database, but I believe that is the answer to my problems, manly
because the SQL Server is unbearable to maintain.

Best Regards,

Ulisses Ponticelli Giorgi
MSC Computer Science