Re: [INTERFACES] query java object?

From: "Joe Shevland" <shevlandj(at)kpi(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Peter Mount" <petermount(at)it(dot)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>, "'Phillip Rhodes'" <rhodespc(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>, "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] query java object?
Date: 2000-01-07 18:45:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi all,

OK, hopefully this all makes sense...

<background>
The enterprise java beans spec specifies that classes
requiring (CMP) persistence need to let the container know
which attributes to persist by way of an XML
descriptor.
</background>

So, given that we only want to persist certain properties/attributes
of a particular Java class is this possible using the mechanism
described below?

Also, what are the overheads involved here? I guess the table
will need to be created the first time an object of a particular
type is stored, after that it should fairly normal?

I'd love to be able to come up with a container-managed-persistence
module based on PostgreSQL for EJBOSS (www.ejboss.org), but
I'm still sorting things out in my head as to the best ways of doing this.

One little weird one, given that the Java classes you persist actually
persist other classes they reference (as long as they're defined in
PostgreSQL mapping I guess), would a way around the cyclic
reference problem be to check the .equals() method when storing
chained objects, maintain a hashtable for each root node and not
store the object if it has already been done? That seems awfully
simplistic, what are the issues involved?

Regards,
Joe.